Key points for candidates to note are:
• you will be sitting the exam using the PSI RPNow platform
• you will by typing your answers to case study questions, rather than the previous 'hand-written' method
• you will have access to an on-screen calculator, rather than your own calculator
• any required supplementary information, including the tax tables, will be accessed on-screen
• all of your actions during the exam will be recorded using a webcam attached to your computer
Before the exam, you will need to make sure that your systems are 'up to the task'. The CII provide a link so that you can check your own systems prior to the exam. The first time we tested a BTS laptop it failed! After closing a few open browser windows all went fine, and the system confirmed that we could meet all the standards.
To check your system requirements, visit: https://systemcheck.rpexams.com/
It's probably worth noting that candidates must use what the PSI consider to be a ‘a secure browser'. Edge 18, is not supported by the PSI RPNow System, so you will need to use browsers such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
When you come to sit the exam, you will have to download some software. Candidates have to download the software each time they start an exam. The CII will issue a link in advance in the Bookings and Results section of your MYCII dashboard.
You MUST be logged in 15 mins before the exam start time, or you will not be allowed to sit the exam.
In the time just before your exam, you will:
• make sure no other programmes are open
• log on (there may be a password to insert, but the exam software does this for you when you click a button)
• select your exam
• confirm your ID
• take a picture of your photo ID
• scan the room with your webcam, including the desk, floor and walls
• you will also need to use a mirror, so that the remote invigilator can see the edges of your monitor/ screen during the recorded room scan. (NOTE: the system won’t prompt that, but the CII require it).
If you have any blank A4 paper sheets for notes (the maximum you can have is two sheets of A4), you will need to show both sides of each piece of paper during the room scan (again, the system won’t prompt that, but the CII require it).
You then have 10 mins to start exam, but have strict rules to follow:
• No toilet break
• No being rude (after all, someone will have to watch the video)
• You can have a drink, but it must be a clear transparent drink in a bottle without a label
RPNow have produced a useful demo video on YouTube:
A final thing to note is that the system continues recording after the exam is complete, so remember to close the software before you express any joy or other emotion at the end of your exam!
If you have a medical condition that may impact on your assessment, you may wish to apply for an exception. For example, if a medical practitioner can confirm your condition and explain the limitations, this could mean that extra time is allowed.
The CII provide the following examples.
• Dyslexia – extra time
• Vision impairment – extra time
• Arthritis – extra time for rest/stretch breaks
• Diabetes – extra time to check blood sugar levels, eat or take required medication.
To check availability of such concessions, you can contact the CII by emailing: email@example.com
To read the latest information from the CII visit their website.
We hope the above information is helpful, and please remember that you can order a BTS R06 study guide, or register for a R06 workshop space here.
Alternatively, give us a call on 01748 822777 and we can chat the options through with you.
You can also download the first chapter of the BTS R06 study guide for free, so that you can see how the style of our guides differs from those issued by the examining body.